Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What Transect Zone (zoning designation) is my property located in?
A: The Transect Zone of a specific property can be located by visiting the Interactive Zoning Tool.  If you wish to learn more about Miami 21 and the Transect Zones, please visit the Miami 21 website for more details.

Q: Can I rebuild my property if it was damaged as a result of a hurricane or other natural disaster?
A: If your property was legally built under a prior zoning code, it may be considered a legal nonconforming structure. Legal nonconforming structures that are damaged as a result of a natural disaster may be rebuilt to its original state as detailed in Section 7.2.2 of Miami 21. To access the Miami 21 Code, please visit the following webpage: www.miami21.org.

Q. How do I receive written zoning verification concerning my property?
A: A written request may be obtained from our office for a fee of $200.00 payable to the City of Miami. The following form must be submitted along with payment: Zoning Letter Request.  Please note that such letters are taking longer than expected to be completed at this time. 

Q: Is a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) required for my event?
A: Temporary events are those events of limited duration, open to a large number of people. An event which would require a temporary event permit is an event which is not one of the authorized uses of a property, and is an event which is not included as a customary, primary, or ancillary use as identified in its Certificate of Use. Any use of the property already included in the Certificate of Use for that property will not require a separate permit. For those properties that do not require Certificates of Use, such as one- or two-family homes, it is an event that is over 100 people and impacts traffic and access to the public right-of-way.

Further information concerning Temporary Events may be found in Chapter 62 of the City Code. You may access the City Code by visiting the following webpage: www.municode.com.

To apply for a Temporary Use Permit, the following application must be completed and submitted to the local NET Office along with the required payment: TUP Form.

Q: How do I obtain a Certificate of Use?
A: The MiamiBiz online application allows you to apply for a Certificate of Use and a Business Tax Receipt.  Prior to obtaining your Certificate of Use, there may be a few steps that may need to be taken.  Read more...

Q: How do I schedule a zoning inspection?
A: Please contact 311 to schedule a zoning inspection. You may also reach the NET Office at (305) 960-4638 or the Code Compliance Department at (305) 329-4800 for further assistance with scheduling an inspection.

Q: I have received a zoning citation. What do I do to fix the citation?
A: You should meet with a Zoning Information Specialist to determine what action needs to be taken to bring your property into compliance. Zoning Information Specialists are available to the public between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. We are located on the 4th Floor of the Miami Riverside Building at 444 SW 2 Avenue.

You should also remain in contact with the Code Compliance Inspector to ensure that the Inspector is aware of what actions you are taking. The Department of Code Compliance may be contacted at (305) 329-4800.