The Miami Rescue Explorers Post 780 has accomplished many things this year with very little funding. The accomplishments include the following:
- The South Florida Learning for Life Division of Boy Scouts elected Miami Fire Rescue Post 780 as the Explorer Post of the Year for Dade County. This award recognizes those Posts who go above and beyond in lending a helping hand to their respective community through community events, training and supportive events. This was the Explorers most significant accomplishment.
- The Explorers trained for hours on both weekdays after school and on weekends to improve their swimming skills and for some, learn how to swim. This was all in an effort to obtain water safety instructor and lifeguard certifications. The Explorers taught inner city kids how to swim at 3 pools within the City throughout the summer. This was made possible through a grant facilitated by the University of Miami in conjunction with the City of Miami Parks and Recreation Department.
- The Explorers choreographed an interactive basic fire safety and first aid presentation for the Haitian Community Center of Miami. The obstacle was that the audience did not speak English. Therefore, the group had to present in both English and Creole. Afterwards, the Explorers fellowshipped with over 50 members and provided blood pressure screening for them. Although challenging, the presentation went extremely well and the participants were very pleased.
- In January of 2003 the Explorers competed for the first time in the Boy Scouts of America Exploring Division’s National Competition. This event was held in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Through the support of the Miami Fire Department and the Explorers Adult Leaders we were able to raise funds for the competition. To keep the expenses down we had to drive a portion of the way and take the train as well. Although it was a challenge getting there, the students had a great time. The Explorers handled themselves very well for their first competition ever.
- The Explorers of Post 780 provided foot and parking patrol for the recent South Florida Annual Dog show held at the Youth Fair grounds hosting over 2000 attendees. The committee was so impressed with the Explorers' professionalism that we were invited to participate again next year.
- The Explorers of Post 780 provided foot and parking patrol for the Annual City of Miami Employee picnic which hosted over 1000 attendees.
- The Explorers participated in an A.I.D.S. youth rally.
- The Explorers produced a 12 minute marketing video showcasing the benefits of the Explorers program to our community. The video will be used as a fundraising tool and to promote the Explorers program.
- 4 of our members have graduated from the program to become firefighters. Two are members of the last Firefighter recruit class, and one has been on the job for a few years now. We also have a female member who has been employed with Miami Dade Fire Department for 4 years. She successfully completed the promotional process with the Miami Dade Fire Department and is now awaiting her promotion to Lieutenant.
- On September 19th, 2003 the Explorers performed as First Aid Medics on land and sea for the Race Week Miami Cup Regatta sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America. Over 600 Sea Scouts and Boy Scouts from South Florida competed in a variety of events including boat design and sailboat races.