Miami Business Solutions
· Tax FAQ
Economic initiatives:   Home | Contact Us | About Us
This section is intended to direct you to the right resources to help you with business tax preparation. You will probably need assistance to answer questions like- How much can I deduct? How do I depreciate my equipment? This serves only as an introduction and in no way is it a substitute for professional advice.

Internal Revenue Service
  • You can access free tax information at
  • You can also visit for detailed business tax information or you can call (800)829-4933 for business taxpayer assistance.
  • The IRS provides an interactive online workshop to help small business owners learn about their federal tax rights and responsibilities. You can access it online at
  • There is also a local IRS office open Monday-Friday from 8:30am- 4:30pm. You can reach them over the phone at (305)982-5077 or in person at 51 SW First Ave Miami, Fl 33130
  • You can access general Florida Tax Information online at
  • You can call (800) 352-3671 for tax information and assistance over the phone
  • The formality and level of structure you are willing to work with
  • Profits flow through the owner's personal tax return
  • Easy to dissolve
  • Terminated at death of the proprietor
  • You can also visit in person at
    Miami Service Center
    8175 NW 12th St, Suite 119
    Miami, Fl 33126-1828
How to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

The Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a nine-digit number used by the IRS to identify the tax accounts of employers and certain others who have no employees.
Do I need an EIN?

If your answer to any of these questions is 'Yes,' you will need an EIN.
  • Do you have employees?
  • Do you operate your business as a corporation or partnership?
  • Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms?
  • Do you withhold taxes on income? Other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien?
  • Do you have a Keogh plan?
  • Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

    • Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
    • Estates
    • Real estate mortgage investment conduits
    • Non-profit organizations
    • Farmer's cooperatives
    • Plan administrators
How do I obtain an EIN?

You must fill out an IRS Form SS-4 and file it with the IRS. You can obtain the Form SS4 either
  • Online at

    • Must be located within the US and US possessions and be a taxpayer or authorized third party designee. Can receive EIN online and use immediately to file a return or make a payment.
  • Over the phone by calling toll free at (800)829-4933
  • In person at the local IRS office open Monday-Friday from 8:30am- 4:30pm. You can reach them over the phone at (305)982-5077 or in person at 51 SW First Ave Miami, Fl 33130
How to register for Florida's Sales and Use Tax

Who needs to register?
  • Generally all businesses making sales in the state of Florida are subject to sales tax. Below is a partial list of taxable business activities

    • Sales of taxable items at retail.
    • Repairs or alterations of tangible personal property.
    • Rentals, leases, or licenses to use real property (for example, commercial office space, mini-warehouses, or short-term living accommodations).
    • Rentals of short-term living accommodations (for example: motel/hotel rooms, beach houses, condominiums, timeshare resorts, vacation houses, travel parks, etc.).
    • Rental or lease of personal property (for example, vehicles, machinery, equipment, or other goods).
    • Charges for admission to any place of amusement, sport, or recreation.
    • Operating private membership clubs that provide recreational or physical fitness facilities.
    • Manufacturing or producing goods for sale at retail.
    • Importing goods from any state or foreign country, for sale at retail or for use in the business or for pleasure.
    • Selling service warranty contracts.
    • Ordering and using, on a regular basis, mail-order products on which no sales tax was charged.
    • Operating vending or amusement machines.
    • Providing taxable services (for example, investigative and crime protection services, interior nonresidential cleaning services, and nonresidential pest control services).
If you are still unsure you can contact the Florida Department of Revenue
Which forms do I need?

You must file a 'Florida Business Tax Application' or DR-1 either online, by mail, or in person. To file your DR-1 online, visit

If you would like to read more information about the requirements for a DR-1 visit: There you will find a number of resources including a Business Owner's Guide to help you get started.

Before you apply you should gather the following information.

Economic initiatives:   Home | Contact Us | About Us